Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Weekend reading and shopping

I know this is already Tuesday, but I haven't had a chance to post until now. Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day here in the Piedmont of North Carolina. I just love this time of year. It was probably in the mid-80s with bright sunshine and a light breeze. I went downtown to go to the farmer's market and decided before I stopped in there I'd walk around downtown since it was such a beautiful day. I'm glad I did because I found two new shops that haven't been open for very long. One is called Southern Spirit and the lady who runs it is really nice. Everything in her store is handmade by an artist in North Carolina. I love that! There is a little bit of everything, too -- pottery, photography, painting, sculpture, wood turning, knitting, jewelry, soaps and candles, quilts and on and on. She is planning on hosting classes at the shop with some of the artists. I think she has a jewelry making class coming up. The other new shop is called Pottery 101. She is a local artist as well with some really nice pieces. She also teaches pottery classes. Of course, I went to one of my favorite independent bookstores -- The Literary Bookpost. I know I shouldn't have gone in, but I just couldn't help myself. I bought five books:

A Jury of Her Peers by Elaine Showalter
A Room of Her Own by Virginia Woolf (already read this one but wanted my own copy)
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf
The Awakening by Kate Chopin (Everyman's Library edition)

When I got home and my husband got up (he was working the night shift this past weekend), I showed him my purchases and he just grins and says, "That's exactly what you needed -- a few more books." He doesn't really care, he just likes to kid me about my little obsession.

Oh, and I actually did make it by the farmer's market, but they were getting ready to close. I didn't get the wonderful sourdough bread that I usually buy. She was out. So, I got some cinnamon bread, which is wonderful. I also picked up some cherry pecan bread, some oyster mushrooms and some homemade preserves -- damson and strawberry-rhubarb.

I stopped by the Sidewalk Deli and took something home for lunch. After I ate, I settled in on the front porch with my books. I actually read uninterrupted for a couple hours. It was heavenly. I am actually reading all the books that are in my Currently Reading sidebar. It's pretty unusual for me to have more than two books going at one time. I'm absolutely loving The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter. I've also read the first three chapters in the Showalter book, which is really good, as well. This is literary criticism/history. It sounds pretty dry, but it's really not. Showalter is a good writer, and it's interesting to hear about some of the earliest American women writers. I'll talk more about it when I finish. Of course, I still have three books that I've read recently that I haven't reviewed, yet. I'll get caught up some time, I guess.

Unfortunately, later Saturday afternoon, we got a call that my husband's uncle had passed away. He was 82 years old and lived in Asheville, NC, which is about 2 1/2 hours from us. So, we made the trip to Asheville Sunday for the visitation and again on Monday for the service. This means I had to be out of work again, which I hate after being out for a week when I was sick. Oh well, that's the way it goes. I hope everyone had a good weekend and your week has started nicely. I'm off to check in on all the blogs I missed reading over the last couple days.

18 comments:

JoAnn said...

Sorry to hear about your husband's uncle. It sounds like an absolutely perfect Saturday otherwise! I just got A Jury of Her Peers from the library yesterday...can't wait to take a look at it. Our farmers market should be starting up for the season soon. I love to stop by on Saturday mornings!

Lisa said...

Joann, thanks. I hate to say we had a nice time at the service, but we did. My husband saw family that he hasn't seen in a very long time. His uncle lived a good, long life and died suddenly, which is about the best way to go I suppose. At least, it wasn't a long drawn-out illness. Yes, Saturday was ideal. I'd like to order up about 10 more days just like it. :)

Literary Feline said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Saturday, Lisa, except for the death of your husband's uncle. I am so sorry for your loss.

I haven't yet read anything by Virginia Woolf, but I hope to try To the Lighthouse one of these days. Maybe I should read it for the classics challenge.

Your husband sounds just like mine when I bring home new books. :-)

Lisa said...

literary feline, it was a very nice day Saturday. I was a little nervous about trying Woolf for the first time because people usually either love or hate her. I just happened to fall into the love category. She'd be good for the classics or the Year of Reading Dangerously if you're doing that one. :)

BooksPlease said...

Sorry about your loss. It's odd how funerals can be a good time - well, it's not really that strange though because that's when the family gets together isn't it, especially if you all live apart.

Your day shopping and reading sounds perfect and I like Woolf too.

Rebecca H. said...

Those are some great books! All that Virginia Woolf, and Kate Chopin is really good too. I'm curious about the Showalter book -- if I hear good things from bloggers I may consider reading it. I'm curious to know your thoughts!

Amy said...

I love reading and eating on the porch. It's so relaxing:-D
-AMY

Lisa said...

Dorothy, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I actually already owned To the Lighthouse. I guess that is a definite sign that I have too many books. :) I'm just reading a little along in the Showalter book, but so far, I'm really liking it.

Amy, I know -- what could be better, right?

litlove said...

I really want to read that Showalter book. And I loved the KATE Chopin.Your shopping sounded delightful. So sorry about your husband's uncle, though.

Lisa said...

litlove, the book is good so far. I can tell it's the kind of book that I will be able to just dip in and out of.

Iliana said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Here I was reading along thinking what a marvelous weekend. Your time out did sound lovely though.

Enjoy finding space on the shelves for your books and a hug to you!

Lisa said...

iliana, thanks for the kind thoughts and the hug. It's always sad to lose someone, but it was a really nice service and nice to see everyone.

Andi said...

I got SO HUNGRY reading your post! Ha! I hope you enjoy The Bloody Chamber as much as I did! It was wonderful-fantastic.

Lisa said...

andi, that deli is quickly becoming an obsession. :)I loved the Bloody Chamber -- I was sad for it to end. I wish it were longer.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I just read about your husband's uncle; my condolences.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Diane.

Anonymous said...

Aside from the sadness of a funeral, your weekend sounds lovely. And I had to smile at your husband's comment about the books - mine says exactly the same thing to me! (with great affection, of course!)

Lisa said...

ravenousreader, sounds like you were lucky with your choice of husband, too. I couldn't be married to someone who didn't indulge my obsession with books, even though he doesn't understand it.