Friday, February 29, 2008

Weekend Reading


I feel like I've been in a "reading groove" here lately. I've been enjoying everything I've read and have been able to do quite a bit of reading. I've actually read 15 books since January 1, which puts me way ahead of my target of 50 books for 2008. Dare I dream of reaching 100? Let's not get ahead of ourselves! Life has a way of knocking me off track every now and then. But for this weekend, I have nothing planned. So, I plan on finishing The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis, which is fiction and (you guessed it!) deals with some of the same themes that have been in his other writings. But, he's a really good writer and even though all of his books contain some of these Christian themes, the reader doesn't feel as if they're being preached to. On the contrary, the books simply make the reader think, which is always a good thing. This is a short book, so I hope to move on to some other reading. I have two arcs that I need to read, and I would like to start on Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, which is the March selection for the Year of Reading Dangerously challenge. I have soooo many books that I want to read, it's hard to choose. I haven't been talking much about all of the books that have been coming into my house, but rest assured there are enough to keep me busy. In fact, I'll have to live to be 150 as it stands now to get all of them read. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Andi said...

LOL, I don't even want to think about how old I'll need to be to get all my books read. It'll never happen; we can just leave it at that.

I'm really excited about Cat's Eye. The last Atwood I read was The Robber Bride, and that was several years ago. Cat's Eye looks like it'll be a winner.

Lisa said...

andi, the last Atwood I've read is The Handmaid's Tale, which I loved. I can't wait to get into this one. Have a great weekend!

Cornflower said...

You've whetted my appetite for some C.S. Lewis, Lisa. Have a good weekend!

Jill ONeill said...

Lewis' Great Divorce is one that has stuck with me over multiple decades. The thinking behind it is far-reaching. I have never been able to decide whether I liked Screwtape Letters or Divorce better. Screwtape Letters had more humor to it, but Divorce was more pointed in some respects.

Iliana said...

At the rate I'm collecting books and keep adding to my TBR list I think I'll have to live until 150 as well... Or better yet, I might as well be immortal :)
Hope you are enjoying your weekend and the books!

Lisa said...

karen, I'm just glad I took this class or I may never have read any of these Lewis books! Hope you enjoy your reading.

jill, I haven't read all of the Screwtape Letters, but the ones I read were very entertaining. I did finish the Great Divorce over the weekend and really liked it. I think that's one of the many things I like about his writing is the fact that it's all so different -- from Narnia to Perelandra to Screwtape and the Great Divorce. It's pretty amazing.

iliana, yeah I like your idea! Immortal sounds pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think I have Cat's Eye in my basement bookstack -I'll have to look it up. The last Atwood I read was Alias Grace, which I loved. The Handmaid's Tale gave me nightmares (literally!) it was so scary.

And I'm counting on there being lots of time for reading in heaven, in case I don't get through everything here on earth!

Lisa said...

ravenous reader, I like that -- I don't know why I haven't thought of that before. Of course -- what would heaven be without books?