Monday, March 3, 2008

Read an Ebook Week

I'm not a big reader of Ebooks. I've tried reading books through Project Gutenberg. I've tried reading books through DailyLit. But, if I'm reading for pleasure, I want to hold the book in my hand. I know there are many of you out there who have no problem with reading via computer monitors or handheld devices, such as the new Amazon Kindle; however, I just can't. I can see some of the benefits of E-books, especially for technical writing -- textbooks, reports, etc. So, I ran across this at iLibrarian and thought I would share it in honor of Read an Ebook Week, which runs March 2 - 8.

Edited to include: I inadvertently left out NetLibrary as a source for Ebooks. NetLibrary is a good source for technical books and fiction. NetLibrary also now provides access to a number of audio books, as well. Pfeiffer students can access NetLibrary titles through the library's home page. Once there, click on "Find an Article" and then click on "NetLibrary" in the list of "Commonly Used Databases." If you're off campus, you'll need to provide authentication information. Most public libraries have access to a collection of Ebooks and audio books either through NetLibrary or another vendor.

8 comments:

Ana S. said...

Thanks for spreading the word about this!

Lisa said...

nymeth, you're welcome!

Heather said...

I've read books from Project Gutenberg before but I print them out, whole punch them, mark the chapters...I might as well purchase the book. I have more success reading online when it is a short story those don't need to feel as substantial as novels. :)

Lisa said...

heather, yeah I think you're right. I actually did read The Yellow Wallpaper online once.

Estella said...

Totally off-topic here, but you've won one of the February Year of Reading Dangerously prizes! Check out the site for instructions for claiming your prize!

business opportunity said...

e-book are very informative but the only problem in them is reading them on monitor I noticed that some people are making the hard copies of these e-book and reading them.even though it is costly many of them are opting for that.

Lisa said...

business opportunity, yeah that kind of defeats the purpose of having an e-book in the first place, but I totally understand. I just can't seem to get into reading on a monitor.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Nice Blog!
We are located in Chennai India Offering a wide range of back office and I.T Enabled Services namely data entry, e-book data processing and data conversion that match the high global standards in terms of efficiency and accuracy.

We offers innovative and effective outsourcing solutions for clients around the world. We deliver higher quality, increased productivity, and lower costs. Can we do that for you? Sure we can